GET REAL TRAINING
The core of what we do is train people to be authentic in their own leadership style and compassionate to others. That is why we have taken great care to develop REAL: a Revolutionary Education in Authentic Leadership.
Our REAL program can be taken alongside heavy work or school requirements. Our curriculum is more in-depth than other training institutes. We believe our leaders need more than basic training in how to be a good public speaker or how to host a good meeting: we want them to be completely at home with who they are and lead by example, embodying the change they want to see in the world. To that end, we do teach practical skills but complement them with new organizing philosophy and meditation and communication exercises to allow them to be more in touch with who they are.
In the six months we spend together, be it in-person in New York City or through our distance learning program, you do four things:
- You meet with an executive coach on not just what you want to do but who you want to be as a leader.
- You are matched with a mentor from within the area of social change you are most interested in.
- You receive an in-depth authenticity training program that offers philosophy and practical tools.
- You are exposed to our network designed for and eager to get you placed in meaningful work.
- Presentation – within this sphere we discuss conscious business techniques that are introduced by traditional leadership organizations.
- Productivity – one of the things that make us unique is that we add in New Organizing Institute philosophy as popularized by the grassroots movement in the Obama campaigns.
- Presence – unlike any other leadership institute, we combine these two spheres with mindfulness and compassion practices drawn from the Buddhist tradition to allow students to undergo a transformational experience, as opposed to a transactional one.
Throughout the six months we continue to focus on honing each student’s personal intention for how they want to create social change in the world.
The institute’s primary training program takes place over a six month period which is broken down into three two-month sections:
- Section 1: Becoming an Authentic Leader – The first two months of the program can be summarized as teachings on “how to get to genuine.” It focuses on becoming more familiar with one’s sense of self, tuning into your intuition, and learning real world skills that will be useful to any position you might embark upon.
- Section 2: Offering Fully to Others – Having started with self our leaders move on to working with others. Students learn skills around cultivating authentic relationships, bridging differences as part of developing strong coalitions, how to make decisions with others in mind, delegation skills, and empathy meditation techniques.
- Section 3: Creating a Compassionate Society – The final section of the training focuses on how to have an impact in the world, changing it for the better. This is where personal transformation manifests as societal transformation as the students learn more about wielding power effectively, leadership empowerment, and the Six Tools for Authentic Leadership.
Each section can be taken alongside other work or school requirements and includes:
- One day-long workshop which is offered in New York City as well as the cities with the largest concentration of students.
- One six-week class which is offered in-person in New York City as well as online through our website.
- One weekend intensive that is offered in New York City. All participants are expected to fly in for these three weekends.
Our faculty is the best in the business. Each class is taught by experts in at least one of the three Ps. We believe in collaboration, so each of our six week classes is led by at least two teachers, one of whom is a certified and experienced meditation teacher who also functions as a coach or mentor for our program, and the other is a trainer on conscious business skills or organizing philosophy.
The Institute for Compassionate Leadership is based in New York City, although we may expand to other cities in the coming years. We are investing heavily in our distance learning program so that participants can join in our weekly classes from their own homes or offices, interacting with the faculty as if they were physically present.